5 Reasons Why NOW! is the Time to Move
Can I share something with you? Diets frustrate me. They do. Why? Because they are only meant for a short period, then what? Do you know what hurts to see even more? Christians caught in the Diet Trap. They often don’t realize they’ve become enslaved. That’s right. Enslaved to a vicious dieting cycle. What would I want for them? To find freedom from dieting gimmicks and shame. There is definitely something better. Let’s talk about this more, shall we?
Why Do Diets Fail?
Christians should be the healthiest fit people around. In fact, most healthy adults can lose weight without a fad diet. Yet we chase after weight loss gimmicks, “Christian” weight loss programs, and naturopathic treatments that either don’t deliver or leave the person caught up in the weight loss vortex that sucks them downward drowning in a sea of hype. We often know what we need to do to lose weight or improve our health, yet we don’t do it. Why? Maybe we are looking for the wrong source of help and hope.
If you notice, the glory of the Lord filled the Tabernacle—the Tent of Meeting—where the Israelites worshipped. God’s presence filled the entire space, and Moses couldn’t enter it. Moses had a special relationship with God. He sat and talked with Him in His presence. He was God’s chosen leader for His people, the Israelites. But Moses and God couldn’t occupy the holiest place of worship at the same time. Either one or the other, but not both.
Moses led the most stubborn, self-centered group of people as God commanded him. All they did was crab and complain. “Why can’t we have leeks and melons like we did in Egypt? Did you bring us here to die?!?! Why can’t we have meat? We are sick and tired of Manna! How many different ways can we fix Manna!?!?” Whine, whine, whine. Their cravings got the better of them; they complained so much that Moses wanted to die, and God was fed up with it. Talk about Hangry! But let’s read something interesting about the Israelites’ 40-year journey in the wilderness.
In verses 34-38, we see that God’s presence was with them the entire time, even though they whined. He never left them because He loved them. He led them by going before them and protected them by following behind them (Exodus 14:19). The cloud—pillar cloud by day, fire by night– signaled the time for them to move and when to camp in place. Do you know what they did? When God’s presence moved, they dropped everything and moved with Him. Maybe they learned something after all. When His presence rested in one place, no matter how long, they camped out with Him. Can you see them sheltering in place for a whole year not knowing when they will get to move again? What an encouragement for us today! Moses was an integral part of this movement because he let them know when God moved and stayed. Today, Christ-followers have the Holy Spirit to signal us.
Where is God in Your Weight Loss Journey?
If Jesus sits on the throne of our hearts, is there a place for Self? A host of weight loss plans, gimmicks, etc., would have people believe it’s all about them when it’s not. “Do this for yourself!” weight loss gurus taut. Self is exalted, while Jesus, our Lord and Savior, gets shoved aside in the process. Maybe it’s time to heed the Holy Spirit’s trumpet call, “Let’s Move!” and follow God’s lead this time.
Here’s my question for you: Where is God in your weight loss journey? If your body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:18-20), then have you allowed Him to fill your heart by stepping out of the way? Will you begin to treat your body like His, not yours? Will you jump off the dieting merry-go-round to move, and remain, with Him?
Here are five reasons why NOW! is the time to move with God on your weight loss and health improvement journey:
- You feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit about overeating, or eating health-damaging foods. Have you found yourself baking bread and finding new recipes on Pinterest? Have you been eating more because you are home more? Do you seek out comfort foods to deal with your emotions about the Pandemic and other cultural crises?
- You’ve been sitting around during the Pandemic bemoaning your weight gain—the Pandemic 15. Winter is here, and the weather doesn’t beckon you to walk or ride your bike, so what is there to do? Are your feelings in a slump, so you sit gazing at your smartphone or tablet playing video games? Is your treadmill sitting in the basement holding boxes and totes for storage instead of helping you on your journey?
- Your doctor is concerned about your health numbers, whether it be blood pressure, blood sugar, or cholesterol. Have your numbers come up with a yellow or red flag of concern? What is your family history of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, or cancer?
- A new year signals the need for a lifestyle makeover. Everyone makes resolutions, have you? What do you want to stop doing so you can start doing what is right? What is different for you from 2020 to 2021?
- God has called you to serve Him as a wife, parent, neighbor, and any other ministry avenue for which He has given you a passion. What has He called you to do? How will health issues or extra weight cause difficulties serving Him fully?
I highly recommend staying away from any plan or program that does not honor God. A host of Christian health and fitness professionals don’t buy into the New Age movement who can help you give Christ the throne of your heart and charge your weight loss/health improvement journey. I am one of many, but I would love to walk this road with you every step of the way. Now is the time to move on your journey to living a totally healthy lifestyle, following God through this process.
I have an invitation for you. The New! Healthy Lifestyles: Let the Adventure Begin! focus group is designed to help you get started on the right track. We do this by helping you discover how to help yourself and allow the Lord to lead you through all of the obstacles and challenges that prevent you from fully following Him. Our free intro class begins on January 19, 2021. This way, you can see what it’s like for yourself. We will have some great giveaways and freebies for everyone who comes. You can register for this event on our Be Totally Fit for Life! page of my website. If you believe this is for you, you can sign up at the end of our session. By all means, stay for the special offers and our giveaway!
Let’s move with God NOW!
Questions for discussion:
- What diets have you tried in the past? Did they work? Were you able to keep the weight off?
2. What is your doctor telling you about your blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol numbers? Is he or she concerned about your weight? What is your family’s health history?
3. On a scale of 1-5, how likely are you begin losing weight and/or improve your health?
1- I don’t really care. It’s no big deal.
2- I’ve thought about it, but it isn’t a priority right now.
3- I want to begin, but don’t know how.
4- I’ve tried before, but I couldn’t stick to it. I’m a yo-yo dieter.
5- Let’s do this!
Feel free to comment below or email me at email@example.com.